There are many reasons why you would want to get heavy curtains for winter? They are a cheap, savvy option for reducing your heating bills and look good as well. As with any dense material, heavy curtains are great for retaining the heat levels in your home and reducing the chances of heat loss through your window panes.
Curtains have many uses, but for winter they are key in insulating your home and save heating. They provide that extra layer of fabric that helps keep the cold air coming in from your windows (which are the weakest part of your walls in terms of insulation) and keeps the warm air coming from your heating systems in.
Curtains also help to block light to help you sleep at night or keep the sun out to help prevent the room from getting too hot with UV rays.
Before You Buy Curtains:
Buying heavy curtains can be a definite investment. Therefore, there are several things that you should consider before you purchase your drapes.
- The fabric of the curtains – the fabric affects how the curtain will fold when they are drawn; linen, silk, fauxsilk and velvet are the best choices to use for window treatments since they tend to hang the best. As well as this, the fabric affects how long the curtains will last due to their fading over time with sunlight. If a room gets a lot of sunlight then bright colours are not your best choice as these will fade faster and therefore reduce the life of the curtain. The curtains ability to keep out the cold also depends on the fabric. You should be looking for those made of suede, velvet, tapestry or tweed because they are very effective (although pricey) at blocking heat, sound and light.
- The length and width of the curtains – if these curtains are also used to block out the sun then you should have a curtain rail a few inches wider than the window. Long curtains that slightly puddle on the floor give a traditional feel whereas a more modern style includes a crisp length.
- How you clean your curtains – keep in mind you can ruin high-quality curtains when you machine wash them, so you may want to take them to be dry cleaned.
Here Are Some Heavy Winter Curtains I Recommend!
Fusion Cotton Curtains – Woodland Trees Design
If you want something that is just as effective at insulating your home, but slightly less ‘plain‘, these curtains are for you. They feature a repeating pattern of woodland trees and come in 4 colours; linen, duck egg, charcoal and green. The pattern will add an edge to any natural coloured or furnished room.
- A beautifully drawn silhouette tree motif adds a touch of sophistication to this...
- Fusion offers an affordable collection of fashion bed linen, cushions and...
- Size is (WIDTH x DROP) per curtain panel (2 panels per pack) | Eyelet curtains...
Coming in 15 different sizes means that there is a pair of these curtains for any window space in your home – no matter the size of the window or length you want. There is also a matching bed and cushion set to continue the theme in any sitting room or bedroom!
The material is 50% cotton and 50% polyester lining. The double-lined curtains help successfully retain heat within your home, as well as block out cold air and UV rays so you can sleep soundly at night.
These curtains are also ready-made with eyelets installed for easy installation.
When it comes to maintenance of the Fusion cotton curtains, they are easy to care for. The curtains are machine washable on a gentle cycle and can be tumble dried at low heat. When ironing these curtains, you should use the ‘cool’ setting as to not cause heat damage. In comparison to the velvet curtains above, these are much easier to iron without risk of heat damage.
Pony Dance long blackout curtains
These curtains are available 10 sizes, with a suggested size of 22 x 86 inches (width x length), so can fit almost any window and keep you warm this winter.
The Pony Dance long blackout curtains are ready-made to include 2 panels of curtain per package. This takes out the stress of having to sew or adjust curtain lengths, or sew railing holes into them – they are ready to be put up in your home today.
- Ready Made - 2 panels are included in each package, per measures 55" wide x 86"...
- Eyelet Top - 8 silver top eyelets (inner diameter is 1.6-inch) in each curtain...
- Room Darkening - Thanks to the triple weave technology, the blackout curtains...
The curtains are available in 17 colours; grey, mocha, olive, royal purple, blue, red, fresh green, baby pink, light pink, biscotti beige, greyish white, black, misted yellow, navy blue, coral, brown and sea teal. There is a colour to help complement and keep warm every room no matter the colour scheme or design.
The eyelet top of the curtains includes 8 eyelets per curtain, measuring at 1.6 inches for the inner diameter of the eyelet. This means they perfectly accommodate a 1.5-inch (diameter) curtain pole. This is a very standard measurement, so no special type of pole is required!
These are also room darkening curtains with triple weave technology to help block 85 – 95% of the sunlight that streams through your window. This helps guarantee you with a night of good sleep, as well as helping to protect your privacy!
The Pony Dance long blackout curtains are a great addition to any room whether that be your master bedroom, living room, dining room or kids’ bedroom. In terms of aesthetics, they add a sense of elegance to your room because they have the same colour and materials on both sides of each curtain.
The material is 100% polyester which can therefore be machine washed at 30 degrees Celsius. This takes away the stress of having to take your curtains to the dry cleaners when they get dirty – you can clean them in the comfort of your own home.
Deconovo Super Soft Ring Top Curtains
These curtains are even more varied in size and colour than the Pony Dance ones above. These Deconovo curtains come in 12 sizes of varying widths between 42 inches and 55 inches, and varying lengths of between 52 inches and 102 inches.
- BASIC INFORMATION - 100 percent polyester. 2 panels per package. Each measuring...
- PREMIUM TEXTURE - Features a lightweight soft touch mate texture and perfectly...
- FUNCTION CURTAINS - Thanks to the triple weave technology, they will prevent...
There is a colour for everyone to like; beige, brown, royal blue, sky blue, turquoise, brown, orange, chocolate, green, dark grey, blush pink, baby pink, pink, red, dark purple, taupe, light beige, light grey, black, greyish white, navy blue, silver-grey, mustard and baby blue.
The material is 100% polyester which can therefore be machine washed at 30 degrees Celsius. These curtains can also be tumble dried at low temperatures. Again, this takes away the stress of having to take your curtains to the dry cleaners when they get dirty – you can clean them in the comfort of your own home.
The triple weave technology helps to block sunlight and UV rays from entering the room, as well as retain the warmth produced by your heating in the winter, and keep the room cool in the summer.
This technology also helps to reduce the noise that enters your room from the outside environment. This adds to the curtains ability to create privacy and personal space. This technology is both present on the front and the back designs meaning that these effects will occur on both the inside and outside of the room.
At such a cheap price, these curtains could be bought to be interchangeable on the season, or the festival being celebrated (eg Christmas) or if you are someone who likes to change their rooms regularly to something fresher.
Singinglory Velvet Curtains
These curtains are made of an OEKO-TEX Standard 100 certified and top quality material. The curtains are 100% polyester faux silk velvet with a polyester lining. This means these curtains are sturdy and durable, whilst also giving a sense of elegance and luxury to your room.
- Top Quality Material: OEKO-TEX Standard 100 certified, made of 100% polyester...
- Ready Made: 2 panels with 2 tiebacks per package, 3 different size (66x72",...
- Great Effect: 75%-85% light blocking & energy saving for home heating and...
The ready-made state that these curtains come in makes them so easy to install in your home without any adjustments or additions needed. There are 2 panels of curtain included with 2 tiebacks per package, and 8 metal ring eyelets that are also easy to slide on an install. The eyelets have an inside diameter of 4cm and an outside diameter of 6cm.
The Singinglory Velvet Curtains work with great effect, blocking out 75 – 85% of the light that enters through the window. This is slightly less effective than the Pony Dance Curtains although still a high level of noise and light reduction. The blocking of UV rays also helps protect your furniture, flooring and artwork, although the darker colours may have better blackout abilities than the lighter coloured curtains.
The Singinglory velvet curtains come in the neutral and warm colours of navy blue, grey, taupe and yellow, making them easy to accompany any room in your house.
These curtains have ‘easy care’ associated with them. They are machine washable if put on a gentle cycle, and can be tumble dried at low heat. When ironing these curtains, you should use the ‘cool’ setting as to not cause heat damage.
Whilst these are slightly more expensive, they are made with faux silk velvet, which adds an extra sense of class and luxury, as well as being better at trapping in the heat this winter.
Hatchette Blackout Thermal Curtain Linings
These curtains win our recommendation for the ‘most ready-made’ winter curtains because while they are only the linings of the curtain, they are very easy to attach to your existing curtains via the curtain hooks – no sewing involved!
- By: Hachette | Genuine Ready made 3 Pass Technology Blackout Curtain Linings
- Size: Width x length (inches) | Each packet contains 2 curtain panels. Drop is...
- Simply attach to your existing curtains, no sewing required. **INCLUDES CURTAIN...
The Hatchette blackout thermal curtains have an exceptional ability to block out UV rays and cool air and keep the warm air inside your home; adding another layer in between the cold outside and you.
They are made 100% of polyester, however, they have an SRC (solar reflective coat) applied to them to reflect the heat and UV rays from the sun.
The curtain linings do not take away the luxury or homely appearance of your curtains already in place, because the drop of these linings is 2 inches less than stated, meaning that they do not hang below your curtains.
While these are not the prettiest curtains, they are not intended to be seen, and their practicality cannot be ignored. These are an affordable way to help reduce your heating and stay warm this winter.
Sienna Crushed Velvet Curtains
Instantly these curtains shout ‘modern luxury’ at you. They are available in silver-grey, charcoal grey and natural champaign beige, making these curtains an elegant addition to any room in your house – especially living room, master bedroom or dining room.
- Modernise your room with these luxury heavy weight thermal crushed velvet eyelet...
- Colour: Silver grey
- Size: Pair of 66"X90" - each curtain panel measures 66" width x 90" drop (167cm...
As well as a nice appearance, these curtains are very practical when keeping the heat in and the cold out in winter – they have an extra lining to add an extra layer of warmth to your home.
The Sienna crushed velvet curtains come in 9 different sizes, ensuring that everyone can take advantage of this product, no matter the window length or space. The curtains come in a pair and have 10 eyelets in each curtain.
The material is, again, 100% polyester which can therefore be machine washed at 30 degrees Celsius and also tumble dried at low temperatures.
Again, this takes away the stress and money of having to take your curtains to the dry cleaners when they get dirty – you can clean them in the comfort of your own home. Saying this, when ironing these Sienna crushed velvet curtains, you should take care not to apply heat damage to the material as velvet can be easily ruined by an iron that is too hot.