Covering your floors with carpets has its benefits. They insulate the floors, they reduce the wear the floors would have had to bear, and they have a relatively smooth feel. When carpet underlays are used in conjunction with carpets, these properties are heightened. The carpets become warmer and smoother, but that’s not all.
Some carpet underlays are also good soundproofing materials. When used in conjunction with carpets, they muffle thumping sounds and other kinds of impact noises.
Tag along, as I describe the seven best carpet underlays you can use with your carpets for effective soundproofing.
Spring PU Foam Carpet Underlay
This carpet underlay comes in different sizes. It depends on your choice. It has a thickness of about 12mm and is soft to the touch.
- 12mm Thick
- Choose Size: 5m2 , 10m or 15m2
- Feels Soft Underfoot
Apart from its soundproofing qualities, it also provides a measure of comfort in conjunction with carpets. It is made from polyurethane, which has a relatively high STC rating ( a rating used to determine the soundproofing quality of materials).
- It is durable. Polyurethane helps provide durability, which is why it is used in conjunction with some wear layers in vinyl floorings.
- It has good soundproofing qualities. Polyurethane has a relatively high STC rating, so the carpet underlay is a good choice for a soundproofing carpet underlay. It also has a sound reduction rating of approximately 43 decibels.
- It’s comfortable. Its thickness helps insulate the carpet, and it is also warm to the touch; an extra plus.
- Polyurethane foams are flammable, so keep the carpet underlays away from fire. They are best used in rooms.
- It is easily damaged, so care has to be taken during installation.
8mm Thick PU Foam Carpet Underlay 15m2 Per Roll
This carpet underlay comes in different colours. It’s 8mm thick and has a dimension of 11m x 1.37m.
- 1.37m Wide
- 8mm Thickness, Grade A, Environmentally Friendly
- Non Toxic, Easy to Fit, 90kg per m3, 2.71 Tog
It is mostly used in domestic areas because it is also made from polyurethane foams. Like other carpet underlays, it also increases the longevity of carpets.
- It is cheap. It’s cheaper than 12mm Thick- Spring PU Foam Carpet Underlays. It’s a nice option if you didn’t budget much for a carpet underlay.
- It improves the comfort of the carpet it is used with.
- It also has good soundproofing and insulating qualities. It has a sound reduction rating of approximately 34 decibels.
- This underlay will protect your carpets from wear.
- Being made from polyurethane foams, it is also flammable. Hence, it is best used in rooms.
- It isn’t very thick. Hence, it doesn’t provide as much insulation as 12mm Thick – Spring PU Foam Carpet Underlays.
Wilson Underlays 12mm Thick – Super Luxury Wool Carpet Underlay – Acoustic & Insulation
- 15sq.metres Per Roll
- 12mm Thick
- Superb Heat Insulation
It is 12mm thick and is made from wool, a natural fibre. Its dimensions are 11m x 1.37m, approximately 15 square metres per roll. It is also soft and warm to touch.
- It provides better insulation than Polyurethane foam carpet underlays. Wool is warmer than Polyurethane, which is why wool clothing is worn during cold weather.
- It is a natural fibre. Hence, it is recyclable and environment friendly.
- It also has good soundproofing qualities. It has a sound reduction rating of approximately 37 decibels.
- It is relatively expensive compared to PU foam carpet underlays.
Flooring Online UK Super Velvet – Felt and Rubber, Acoustic Carpet Underlay
- The Ultimate 'Creme de la Creme' Of Underlays
- 10m2 per roll (7.3m x 1.37m)
- 12mm Thick
It is 12mm thick and has a dimension of 7.3m x 1.37m, approximately 10 square metres per roll. This carpet underlay is made from a mixture of materials: wool, nylon, felt, crumb rubber, and other additives.
- The carpet underlay has good soundproofing qualities. Its sound reduction rating is approximately 48 decibels.
- It also provides good insulation. It has a tog rating of approximately 3 tog. Tog ratings are used to determine the thermal insulation of a material. The higher the tog rating of a product, the higher its insulating property.
- It is made up of mostly natural fibres. Hence, it is environment friendly.
- It is very durable.
- When initially purchased, it might give off a rubber or wool odour, but it will fade with time.
10mm Thick – Insulation & Sound Proofing Carpet Underlay
- 10mm Thick
- Luxury Wool Underlay
- Very High Heat Insulation
It is 10mm thick and is made of wool. It weighs approximately 22 kilograms per roll. Being made from wool, it provides great insulation.
- It provides great insulation. It has a tog rating of approximately 3.4 tog.
- It has a sound reduction rating of approximately 33 decibels. Hence, it has good soundproofing qualities.
- Being made from wool, it is recyclable and environment friendly.
- It is easy to fit and install.
- It has a luxurious and soft feel.
- It might smell unpleasant when damp, but since it is installed under carpets, it won’t get damp easily.
Platinum Underlay – 10mm Thick Foam Carpet Underlay Roll
- High quality carpet underlay rolls
- Cheap brand new 10mm thick luxury recycled foam filler
- PU construction; single side laminate; approximately 12kg in weight
It is 10mm thick and is made up of polyurethane, and other additives. It weighs approximately 12 kilograms, and its dimensions are 10.95m x 1.37m, approximately 15 square metres per roll.
- It has a sound resistance rating of 32 decibels; hence, it is also a good option for soundproofing carpet underlays.
- It is lightweight, and easy to fit and install
- It is not as warm as woollen carpet underlays. It has a tog rating of approximately 2.2 tog.
Easylay – 8mm Thick Foam Carpet Underlay Roll.
- High quality carpet underlay rolls
- Cheap brand new 8mm thick recycled foam filler
- PU construction; single side laminate; approximately 10kg in weight
It is 8mm thick and weighs approximately 10 kilograms. It has the same dimensions as the platinum underlay. They both have the same brand name. It is also made up of polyurethane.
- It is cheap compared to the platinum underlay. This is because it is less thick.
- It is also lightweight and easy to install.
- It also has a sound resistance rating of 32 decibels, hence it is also a good soundproofing carpet underlay.
- It also has a tog rating of 2.2 tog. Hence, it is considered warm but not as warm as woollen carpet underlays.
So here they are. If you’re looking for a carpet underlay for soundproofing, then you’re at the right place. There’s surely one that’ll suit your requirements.